Bus & Van Safety
It’s time to round up the kids and head back to school! For many organizations, bus and van transportation is a key part of the experience. It may be for a daycare program, school, field trip or youth outing that the need for buses and vans arise. In any event, it is imperative that proper care is taken to insure the safe transportation of passengers and drivers alike. Please review these few common requirements and suggestions for safe usage:
- Is an updated drivers list on file with the insurance provider?
- Have all drivers completed proper licensing, training and insurance clearance?
- Are the maintenance logs complete and updated frequently?
- Do you maintain pre-operation and post-operation safety and maintenance checklists?
- Is the insurance up-to-date?
- Is state licensing and other van/bus requirements current and up-to-date?
- Do you have emergency training for drivers, staff and students?
- Are vehicles equipped with first aid and roadside emergency kits?
- For older vehicles, has vehicle inspection been completed by a licensed mechanic?
- For older drivers, are physician’s statements on file and cleared with the insurance provider?
Are your drivers and students ready for an exciting and safe new school year? We hope so and certainly encourage you to contact your insurance provider if you have any questions about your auto coverage and policy requirements.