The task of maintaining a well-manicured lawn and outdoor space is very important. It demonstrates great pride in ownership and presents a safe area for parishioners to enjoy. We encourage you to review and establish safety guidelines for anyone involved in the maintenance of your property. A few simple steps and reminders may go a long way in preventing a mishap.
Lawn mowing –
- Professionally maintain all lawn mowers and trimmers.
- Store gasoline and other toxic or flammable products in a secure area.
- Only allow adults who are properly trained to operate machines.
- Inspect the grounds for debris which may go airborne and damage nearby property.
- Require gloves, goggles, ear plugs, sturdy shoes and proper clothing be worn at all times.
Debris removal –
- Do not allow ladders, chain saws or other dangerous items to be used in debris removal.
- Be mindful of the weight of bagged leaves and yard clippings.
- Use proper lifting techniques when moving yard garbage.
- Remove dead branches, trees or shrubs to avoid injury or damage to property.
- Restrict burning leaves and debris piles to avoid a large grass or property fire.
Weed and insect prevention -
- Read all labels and safety instructions carefully on weed and insect chemicals.
- Only allow adults to handle the chemical and require strict compliance with all safety recommendations.
- Be aware of changing wind and weather patterns that may impact application.
- Clearly mark all work areas to prevent pets, kids and adults from wondering into a dangerous situation.
- Store all chemicals in a secure area.