October is Fire Prevention and Fire Safety month. It’s a great campaign and reminder for all of us to double check our buildings for adequate and useful safety measures. Here are just a few quick items to inspect for proper function and usage.
- Do you have enough fire extinguishers located throughout your building and near obvious fire zones?
- Have they been inspected and refilled or replaced according to their inspection tags and expiration dates?
- Do you have the correct class of fire extinguisher for your location?
- Are instructions for use clearly visible?
Smoke Alarms and Emergency Lights:
- Are the batteries in your smoke detector working?
- Do the emergency exit lights illuminate when tested?
- If you have a central station fire alarm, is everything fully operational?
- Do you have an evacuation and fire emergency plan?
By following these easy steps, you can reduce the likelihood of a catastrophic fire.